Friday, March 13, 2009

Books

At the end of our team meeting at work today, after we'd wrapped with business and were just chatting, we started talking about books. Someone asked me if I was a member of goodreads (yes) and suggested that we should be goodreads friends. We went on for 20 minutes asking around about which books we'd read, what each of us like reading, made recommendations and so on.

It was great.

Then I realized that I still haven't really made the effort to keep goodreads up to date, or even to make the smallest effort to actually add books I've read in the past. So at lunch today, I logged into my account and started updating. I've made a small dent, but the process has made me feel kind of weird - almost melancholy. I don't know why - sometimes I get that way in the middle of a Barnes & Noble too. Not sad really, more contemplative. I can't really explain it.

Why is it that my association with books tends to put me in that mood? Books definitely have the ability to cause me to swing out amongst the entire gamut of my feelings. As a kid I spent a lot of time reading. Though I had good friends, I never had lots of friends, so when Bob or Jeff or Brooks couldn't play - I'd read a book. Whatever the case or reason, I still read all the time, at least an hour a day, not counting scripture study. Crazy? Selfish? Perhaps, but fulfilling to be sure.

Ah well. As with all things, I'll try to do better about getting goodreads up to date, so if you're interested in being friends - just ping me with a comment. If not, that's fine too.

-jake

1 comment:

Jordan King said...

I'm on goodreads, we should totally be friends. lol

"pain quotidien"

"My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's."

-Oscar Wilde