Tuesday, May 08, 2007

EDIM4-7? Not hardly. But here's 8 - Biology and the facts of life.

Okay - so no surprise that I've not met the challenge for posting something every day in May so far. But here's another post, and some of the titles of posts I've started and "may" yet finish.

"I wear my sunglasses - part 2"
"Friends turning 40"
"Mothers Day Angst"
"Rain Rain go away - I need my ticket to ride"

And "Biology and the facts of life" - appearing below

I recently posted about TK's graduation and even invited you all to be there, however the deep dark secret is that though he's on track to graduate with high honors (3.8+ gpa) he may not graduate at all... You see, way back in his sophomore year, TK wound up in a biology class which proved to be rather hard for him and he (gasp) failed a term.

Needless to say we weren't thrilled, but we didn't worry that we'd be able to work it all out well before graduation.

We just didn't realize that well before graduation meant 3 weeks before graduation.

A couple of months ago TK sought and got approval to do the necessary work via proctoring with a teacher at the school, because doing a packet would allow him to graduate just fine, but would not fulfill the requirements for NCAA eligibility. Every day since then La Reine has inquired as to his progress with the standard response being "mom, don't worry about it, I'll be fine." And now - here we are, the aforementioned 3 weeks before graduation, needing to complete the work and still get approval in a final, hopefully "pencil-whip through the process" appeal with the graduation board.

So this week TK is being forced to complete a term's worth of biology and then he'll go through the appeals process and all will be well, at least that's what we're telling ourselves. It's a mantra really.

- jake

5 comments:

Cari said...

So, TK's eating and breathing Biology this week. Nothing like a stressful end to high school! It WILL all turn out. It's not like he goofed off these past few years. He's worked hard and they will see that. They will allow him to turn his work in and he'll graduate. But, I'm sure this kind of excitement is something you could have lived without! Why do kids do that to us!?!

jake roi said...

~cari~ I often wonder that very thing. I'm sure our kids see it differently - "Why do my parents do this to me", I know I did... Now I see it from the parenting side all too clearly.

I've no doubt that everything will be just fine.

Hey Jude! said...

3.8? That's pretty rockin! Way to go Taylor! Did he have Rasmusson? I hated him.

jake roi said...

Why yes Jude - The very man.

Unknown said...

For the record. SK is getting an A from same teacher. As a Freshman no less.

"pain quotidien"

"My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's."

-Oscar Wilde