Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Every day in May

I've taken the challenge from a friend to post something on the blog every day this month.

What do you mean I already failed - doesn't April have 31 days? My watch says it's the first, so there.

So here's to a post a day. (clink noises)

Last night we had an etiquette dinner with the youth. It was truly amusing - though I think at the same time it was truly great. I believe we have etiquette dinners principally for the young men, and it's a good thing.

We had a couple in our ward provide the instruction, and my favorite part was as they were discussing the place-setting at a traditional table, the part when they began discussing the glasses, you know - water, red wine, white wine, etc. The look on the faces of the youth was priceless - most especially the look on CKs face as he gave me a knowing smirk, as though to say, "but you already knew all about that - didn't you dad?"

P.S. - cari? I owe you three glasses - so very sorry again for my over-exhuberant washing last night.

- jake

6 comments:

Cari said...

I heard you cooked a mean chicken! The kids really enjoyed it.

And, no, you don't owe me anything. I bought them at the dollar store just because I couldn't find 6 decent matching glasses.(curse my kids! I have no idea where they put things!) Seriously, they would have broke if you blew on them they were so cheap. No worries!

C. Jane Kendrick said...

You impressed Chup. I should take lessons.

jake roi said...

Years ago we started a "gourmet group" within the bounds of LS8... It was great fun until it was determined that we were exclusionary so we disbanded. I miss it because it gave me a chance to cook for people who appreciated it. In fact - extraordinary ex-pat and I talked about collaborating on a cookbook, even if it we could never get it published.

I still love to cook as often as I can (the culinary world calls and asks for their certification back if you don't actually work in the industry for a long period) so I jump at chances to teach sauces at enrichment night - or make a nice meal for 40 youth. My family thinks I'm crazy - but as they say at le cordon bleu "c'est la vie". Actually, I'm not sure I ever heard anyone say that. ;)

jake roi said...

Oops - and cjane - tell chup thanks. I'm often impressed by him too.

Megan said...

Very good dinner that night, if I do say so myself.

jake roi said...

Thanks May, I loved the whole thing! I especially loved watching the young men strive to be young gentlemen.

"pain quotidien"

"My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's."

-Oscar Wilde