Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Lost and Found

Sorry for not posting yesterday. It's been a pretty hectic last few days.

On Saturday Q had a football bye which was wonderful since we had about a billion other things to do that day, okay, maybe only 10 other things to do.

Started the morning helping T get off on his homecoming date. I remember when these date dances were only dinner and the dance. Now - it's an all day thing. I know they have a blast, but wow - talk about added magnitudes of work and expense - oh well. T doesn't seem to mind at all.

Once he was off (and I'd taken him the football he forgot to take along), I went and picked J up and headed over to my parents house to help with thier move. I spent much of last week helping them prepare for, and then move. We'll miss having them close (they're moving about 35 minutes away to the south of us, and they've been only about 3 minutes away). But we're excited for them to be able to move into their "retirement" home - no steps, all one floor, nice and open, but smaller, so less to clean, smaller yard, smaller town, more relaxed and conducive to retirement-like activities I suppose.

Once we'd helped them get the truck loaded, moved and unloaded, we came back and tried to get our normal Saturday shopping etc. done. Then we helped clean our car until it sparkled inside and out so T could use it for his date (on account of his car is "lame").

Then we met some friends for dinner, which was fab!

Finally made it home for more than a 10 minute stretch at about 9 that night, changed and went out and sat in the hot tub for about an hour just soaking out the tensions and cares of the day - bliss.

Sunday was the standard round of meetings. I really enjoyed testimonies that were shared, the Sunday School lesson, and the portion of the young women's lesson I was in time for.

Yesterday was the funeral of a good friend - a gentleman in our neighborhood who'd lived a full rich life. Participating in his funeral was a great reminder of what's really important in this life, and in the life to come. Thanks Thirl for everything. For your gentility and grace, for somehow enticing every small child you ever met to allow you to "count" their ribs, for sharing your wisdom and the fruits of your labors, and for your example. I'm looking forward to seeing you again. Oh, and did you know it's only 2 months and 29 days until Christmas? I knew you did.

4 comments:

Lyle said...

I had heard of Thirl's passing through the grape vine. He was one of the nicest old men in the ward...next to you, old man. jk

Had to wait til we wuz gone to get the hot tub? thanks.

Cari said...

Thirl will definately be missed that's for sure! Don't you think these older men and women from that generation are gems? It's amazing the hard times they have had in their lives (going through WWII and those type of trials)and they still are able to be such cheerful, loving people. We could learn much from them, I know I need to take some lessons!

dalene said...

No way. I go out of the country and you go on a blogging blitz. I look forward to catching up soon as soon as the jet lag wears off a bit and I can read again without everything going blurry.

jake roi said...

Compulsive! Welcome back!

I've been waiting for your return so we could see those pictures etc.

"pain quotidien"

"My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's."

-Oscar Wilde